Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Disappointments


How Do You Handle Disappointments?


I asked the question, "How do you deal with disappointments?"
I got a couple of different answers. I think they are all interesting takes on how to deal with disappointments.

I think that we will all experience disappointments. I do not think they are avoidable. I think that how we handle them is what is important. I also think we can learn from our disappointments. Sometimes they are a wake up call. Sometimes they are strong motivators. Clearly they are on our minds because these answers are definitive. Each one is a well concieved plan on how to handle disappointments. Kind of like there is a definitve approach to take.

In all the answers no one talked about feeling lost, hurt, lonely and sad.

That is what seems to be missing from these answers. Feelings are missing from these answers. I am a believer in experiencing your feelings and not stuffing them with actions. So the next time you are disappointed experience what that feels like. Don't avoid the feeling. Just move through it. Cry or scream if you need to. Once you have acknowledged how you feel then check out some of these suggestions. Let me know how you feel and deal with your disappointments.



  • Make it happen. If it's not something over which you have control, then let it go. Don't let your happiness rely upon something that someone else has direct control.


  • If you are disappointed it's your fault and you need to work on it. It's your responsibility to make it work for you


  • It depends on the scale of disappointment, but usually I'll just move on. If it's something bigger, then I might think of something special to get or do, which will cheer me up and make me forget the disappointment, at least temporarily.


  • There are no disappointments. When things don't happen the way you wanted them to, it's because you didn't set the right stage. So I think the problem here is to work on your setting rather to be depressed. And the outcome will always be in your favor. That's the way it works.


  • disappointments are blessings in disguise---everything happens for a reason.


  • try not to expect anything out of things or people If you expect nothing it's better to be pleasantly surprised rather than be angry or upset when something "lets you down". This goes for things or people.


  • I would find another way to make it happen. I don't obsess I keep on trying. Success means getting up one more time is my motto.


  • I just try to accept the fact that is simply isn't for me. I truly believe in God.. so if it were suppose to happen it will cause God has planed it for me ... If not then there is a solid reason.


  • For me, I just try not to get my hopes up. If you have low expectations...then there won't be much of a let down right?

Let me know how you deal with your disappointments.

Marcia, Your Confidence Coach

PS Check out my
website and see if there is some thing that can be of value to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently I have been doing a lot of personal growth. I used to stuff my feelings and then I became more angry and resentful. What I practice now is allowing myself to feel. Feeling the hurt or the anger to a raw state so that I can move on and learn from it. It is hard to sit uncomfortable in the moment......... My biggest growth has come from this experience.

Marcia, Your Confidence Coach said...

Hi Anonymous,
It is true that your feelings have to go somewhere. And feelings are powerful so they can not be hidden and repressed for long. They will demand to be heard. It is better to expereince your feelings in their less powerful state so you can deal with them. Once they are repressed they will mutate and grow stronger and they may control you instead of you being with them.